Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Donor Conception Around the World


We know that donor conception occurs in nearly every country in the world. However, the vast majority of stories, or online resources and outspoken people seem to be based in the USA, Australia, Canada or the UK. Although there are a few scientific articles from non-english speaking countries that I have also read. Perhaps I just don’t get to see the non-english speaking communities input in this area and that they are there, but just hidden from the English worlds eyes.
The beauty of blogs is that it is possible to see where the traffic and visits come from. So I was quite surprised that in my top 4 countries to visit this blog was Russia and South Korea. Sure I have been to Korea 4 times and have friends over there, and have an affinity for the people and culture (I even speak a little bit of Korean), but I don’t think my friends could account for all of the traffic I saw. These countries are also different from a few other donor conceived people’s blogs traffic feeds.
Anyway, I just wanted to say welcome to all people from around the world, and particularly non-english speaking countries who are interested in donor conception. Please feel free to post messages in another language or even contact me via email in another language, as there are online translators that I can use to try and understand your message and I will try my best to get back to people. It would be great to hear about the thoughts of people from around the world.
Or if you know of online resources for the donor conception community in another language please let me know.

2 comments:

The Declassified Adoptee said...

So true, those areas are exactly where I think of when it comes to DC. I only realized this was an issue all over when I was reading about the "global babies."

damianhadams said...

Hi Amanda,
I am not sure on Russia, but I know Korea had a huge number of inter-country adopotions as you would be all too aware of. There is certainly a large number of Koreans who have been disenfranchised from their familial roots, and the area of donor conception is just one area which I think has not been reported as much from the western side of things. I know from speaking to some Koreans that the practice does exist. And a paper by Jadva et al in Human Reproduction shows a participant from there.
The whole issue of kinship separation, whether it be adoption or donor conception needs to be addressed on a global scale. Otherwise it just leads to fertility tourism and purchasing children (children are not objects to be bought and sold) from overseas.